GUISELEY picked up their first point of 2022 when they played out a scoreless draw with neighbours Farsley Celtic at Nethermoor yesterday in the National League North.

There was a pre-match blow for Guiseley when centre-back and skipper Hamza Bencherif, along with experienced midfielders Jamie Spencer and Andy Kellett, were withdrawn from the squad awaiting the results of Covid tests.

The game saw the return to Nethermoor of former Bradford City striker James Hanson, who got his move to the Bantams while a Guiseley player.

Guiseley again had a matchday squad packed with young players, but they more than held their own.

The game reached the halfway mark without a goal, although both sides had their chances.

The profligacy continued in the second half with Guiseley's Andy Hollins, facing an empty goal, hitting the bar after a great flick on by Jordan Thewlis.

Tyler Walton picked up a late red card for Farsley after committing two bookable offences, but Guiseley were unable to find a way through in the final few minutes against the 10-man visitors.

The result did little to ease either side's relegation fears, with both of them just five points above the drop zone.

Owen Mason in the Guiseley goal showed excellent form throughout the game, leaving the home fans hoping that his loan from Mansfield Town will be extended beyond January 9.

The 17-year-old has made a big impression since taking over in early December from Brad Wade, who returned to his parent club Rochdale.

Farsley had a good chance when Hanson picked up the ball in a dangerous position, but the veteran might have been better off taking a shot himself rather than setting up Lewis Turner, who headed wide.

Mason then made a great save with his legs from Walton before George Cantrill, wearing the captain's armband for Guiseley, blocked a Dave Syers shot.

Guiseley came into the game towards the end and created a couple of chances, one of which saw young substitute Adam Haw shoot wide when through on goal.

Some good work by teenage defender Ollie Brown prevented Hanson from scoring and Mason made a couple of interventions to prevent Farsley from taking the lead.

Walton's tackle from behind on Prince Ekpolo was quickly followed by a foul on Jake Hull, which saw him pick up that second yellow, but it was 10-man Farsley who threatened most towards the end.

The visitors gained a free-kick in a dangerous position when Ekpolo fouled Luke Parkin but fortunately for Guiseley, the unmarked Chris Atkinson put the ball over the bar when it was played in.

There was another heart in mouth moment for Guiseley when Farsley broke through in added time, but Mason was able to smother the ball.

The Celts still produced one final effort, but that saw Bradford City loanee Kian Scales volley the ball over the bar.

Guiseley are at least now unbeaten in three games and they travel to Spennymoor Town on Saturday for their next league match in the hope that some of their senior players are able to return to the fold.

As well as missing Bencherif, Spencer and Kellett, they were without long-term injury victims Kaine Felix, Bailey Thompson and Shaun Tuton.

Prior to travelling to Spennymoor, Guiseley have a West Riding County Cup quarter-final away to Albion Sports, who play at Farsley's The Citadel ground, on Wednesday night, with kick-off at 7:45pm.