ILKLEY Town returned to action on Tuesday evening following a weekend off, and they returned in style- outshining their local rivals Steeton in a 3-1 victory.

The hosts were dominant from the get go and Steeton struggled to lay a glove on their opposition, and as the season progresses, Town continue to show why they belong at this level.

The Baht’atters came firing out the blocks against a flat Steeton side and they were rewarded for their start on minute 13 when a Steeton man deflected a wicked cross into his own net.

Steeton probed throughout the first half, but couldn't cut through Ilkley's backline and it was still the hosts who looked the more threatening.

And they doubled their lead just before the interval (41), as Thomas Smith capitalised on some shoddy defending from the away side.

Smith fired home into the roof of the net after the Steeton defence failed to clear their lines, following an initial saved shot.

And that was that for the first half, with Town well in the ascendency.

Through their Twitter, Steeton described their first half performance as 'Arguably the poorest half of the season to date from the boys.'

The second half started and a reaction from the away side would have been expected from manager Roy Mason, but it was Ilkley once more looking the more dangerous of the two sides.

They were able to counter attack at pace on a number of occasions and they nearly found their third ten minutes after the break.

They raced clear but were stopped in their tracks by a brilliant last ditch Steeton challenge.

There was some light at the end of the tunnel for Steeton at last and talk about making an impact.

On minute 63, Jahro Parchment was subbed on to the field to replace Jerry White and it took him only two minutes to make an impact.

A delightful cross was whipped in to the back post where Parchment was waiting to score with his first touch of the game and to half the deficit.

It seemed to have given Steeton a burst of life, but only for a short period of time.

The ten minute spell was soon over and Town regained their control in the fixture with twenty minutes remaining.

But as the clock struck 73, Ilkley added their third.

Any lasting hopes for Steeton were dashed as George Gomersall pulled one across the face of the goal and with the aid of the post, the victory was Town's.

They still had time to create a couple more great chances, but they couldn't take them, and overall, it was a fantastic display from the home side.

On that showing, Steeton have a lot of work to do to match their local rivals, but Town will view this result as an opportunity to go from strength to strength in the league.

Once again, they have a weekend off but they will return to action next Saturday, when they travel to Daisy Hill (3:00 PM ) KO. Can Armstrong's men continue their run?