IN what was the final game for at least another six weeks, Ilkley Town completed a spirited comeback to beat Farsley Celtic Juniors 2-1 in a friendly.

Farsley couldn’t have asked for a better opening, breaking the deadlock in only the 10th minute. Their right winger rounded keeper Tim Edney to score from a tight angle, having latched onto a cross-field through ball.

The visitors could’ve easily doubled their advantage moments later had it not been for Edney’s quick-reflex save. He dived down to deny a close range header from a corner, keeping his side in the game.

At the other end of the field, the hosts were creating chances of their own. Harry Brown unleashed a long range strike on target, whilst George Gomersall aimed a looping shot towards the top corner which fell narrowly wide.

Town were still vulnerable to counter attacks from the opposition, and a superb sliding challenge from centre back Scott Stein was necessary to prevent Celtic from converting a one-on-one.

On the stroke of half time, captain Richard Bull fired a speculative attempt on goal, but it whistled over, leaving Simon Armstrong’s side going into the break a goal behind.

In the second half, Ilkley seemed much more confident in possession, subsequently leading to a streak of chances that caused the opposition trouble.

A bouncing cross was fed into Joe Chilaka, but he was unable to finish a nicely-worked team move.

Chilaka came close to finding an equaliser again, when he exchanged a neat one-two pass on the edge of the box before volleying towards goal, forcing a save from Farsley’s keeper.

In the 70th minute, the Baht’atters were rewarded for their sustained pressure with a leveller from full back Macauley Smith. His strike nestled in the bottom corner following a goalmouth scramble, making the last 20 minutes intense.

Approaching the final minutes, Chilaka found a winner. He chased down the keeper, and blocked the clearance, before tucking home into the empty net.

A chance for the away team occurred in the dying seconds, the close range effort from a corner scurried inches past the post though.

This result rounds of an excellent unbeaten run of over 10 games for Town.

Matthew Lambe