ILKLEY Town resumed their perfect run in this season's West Yorkshire League Premier Division with a stunning 9-2 victory over Boroughbridge.

The Baht’atters returned after a spell in isolation and they couldn’t have asked for a better start, breaking the deadlock in the fourth minute. A low cross from Harry Brown was accidentally tapped in for an own goal by centre back Luke Fletcher

Ilkley added to their tally barely five minutes later. George Gomersall evaded a sliding challenge, before selflessly playing the ball to Brown. He tapped the ball home with ease, setting the tone for the remaining 80 minutes.

Tom Fleming was tantalisingly close to joining the scoresheet, but his shot towards the bottom right corner ricocheted off the inside of the post and back into open play.

Keeper Adam Montague Millar was still kept busy, and was forced to pull off two stunning saves to maintain his clean sheet.

In the 40th minute, Ilkley made it three when Brown found Matt Whitehead to slot away into the bottom corner.

The hosts made it 4-0 before the break. Whitehead got on the end of a low cross from Joe Garside, which he smashed into the roof of the net.

On the stroke of half time, Montague Millar pulled out another vital save to deny Jack Campbell and the subsequent shot was brilliantly cleared off the goal line by James Turland.

The second half began similarly to the first, a nail-biting goalmouth scramble occurred which saw Gomersall smash the crossbar and Adam Davey nearly score with a chip.

The home side were rewarded with a goal in the 55th minute. This time it was courtesy of Alfie Heaton, who after bursting down the wing struck a powerful shot that flew over the keeper.

Just two minutes later, Ilkley added a sixth when Gomersall’s close range attempt was well saved, but Fleming was ready to pounce and tapped in the rebound.

Once again, a low cross was fizzed across the face of goal, and Heaton was in the perfect place to stick home the tap in, further increasing the score to 7-0.

Not resting on their laurels, Whitehead assisted Tom Smith to add an eighth goal.

In the 75th minute, Boroughbridge pulled a goal back, after a stunning strike from substitute Gabe Hopkinson.

Boroughbridge seemed to find their stride and added a second goal in quick succession. Striker Chris Simpson headed in at the near post after leaping to receive a looping cross.

Ilkley capped off an incredible performance with a final goal in the 85th minute, when Tom Dover assisted with a low cross, and Smith made no mistake with his close range strike.

Matthew Lambe