DESPITE a late surge, Yarnbury had build themselves a mountain to high to climb as they were unable to comeback from 34-3 down to beat Ripon who were eventual 41-29 winners at Mallorie Park in Yorkshire Two.

Yarnbury made changes again to their starting side with five exchanging places in the pack.

A slack pass from the visitors went to left winger Ben Buckley who had an easy trot in for the opening try converted by stand off Morgan Clark.

This was followed by a penalty in front of the sticks for going over the top in the tackle giving the home side an easy ten point start without having to work for it.

With scrum dominance, Ripon added a further two tries to almost end the match before the break.

Wing forward Euan Farley and Connor Eddleston got the scores with the latter being converted.

Danny Pound stopped the rot by getting Yarnbury on the score sheet before the break with a penalty.

Before half time,Yarnbury brought on experienced forward Ian Maycock in to the back row and the difference immediately was obvious.

The forwards combined better to make ground and produced a couple of opportunities, showing some encouragement for the away side.

However, the second half got off to a worse start with centre Tom Newby taking an inside pass for Ripon to score and increase their lead to a convincing 31 points.

The young side turned the game around after strong words from the captain James White.

Firstly, a sweeping move to the right saw the backs put winger Tom Bowman in to space who tried to squeeze in in the corner but was put into touch close.

Although, the referee deemed a no arms tackle in the move and awarded a penalty try worth seven points.

The breakthrough spurred on Yarnbury and further tries followed from second row James Falgate and left winger Josh Bell provided some light relief for their side.

Bell was on the end of a good passing move to complete the phase of play and score close in enabling stand off Pound to convert.

At this stage, Ripon were looking over their shoulders with the game delicately poised at 34-22 and were a little frantic behind the posts.

As, the eighth-placed side were pushing for a fourth try, the hosts broke down the centre with wing forward James Slator allowed to round the defence to bag a sixth try for his team.

Clark converting to finally seal the victory for the home side.

The away side did not give in though with full back Jack Brown getting on the end of a flowing move to complete the scoring and give the Horsforth side a bonus point in defeat.

Yarnbury host 10th-placed Wath Upon Dearne next week in a match they will be aiming to pick up a much needed victory after losing two on the bounce.