A STORMING second half comeback saw home side Sheffield Medicals secure a 28-28 draw against Old Otliensians in an entertaining Yorkshire Three encounter to kickstart the new decade.

Otliensians managed to beat Sheffield convincingly earlier in the season and the first half of this fixture looked to have the same fate.

A penalty was given against 'Ensians, however, a brilliant interception by Will Cooper during the line-out led to a try and an excellent conversion by Connor Bateman.

From the restart, a well-taken running catch and drive by Macca Mcllorum took the 'Ensians into Sheffield territory, only to be pushed back to their own try line after a penalty.

Tackle after tackle stopped the home team from scoring until a clearing kick by Ollie Eaves led to a try by Luke Cowdell, which Bateman converted.

A try could have been scored after a drive from Sam Featherstone led to a five-metre scrummage, from which a further try could have been scored by 'Ensians but a marginal forward pass denied Cowdell from touching down.

That disappointment was short-lived, however, as minutes later Bateman scored a try which he converted.

For the remaining seven minutes of the first half, 'Ensians dominance continued with Medics only successful attack being ruled as off-side and their kicks being returned ‘with interest’. A score of 21 unanswered points was a true reflection of that half.

Cowdell scored his second try when he intercepted a Sheffield pass and ran almost the full length of the pitch. The easiest of Bateman’s conversions put the visitors 28 points to the good.

That, unfortunately, was the last of the good news for 'Ensians, as from that point the momentum of the game changed in favour of the home team and, despite their efforts, there appeared to be nothing that could have been done to prevent it.

Four unanswered Sheffield tries were scored, mainly through their resurgent forward’s efforts, with all being converted. Although one missed conversion was retaken when the referee decided the 'Ensians’ team had been making too much noise during the first kick.

The last converted try was immediately followed by the final whistle.

A number of decisions from that second half were open to question but the home side certainly ‘stuck to their guns’ however, neither team deserved to lose.