A HORROR injury forced the abandonment of a gripping low-scoring clash between Ossett and visitors Old Otliensians in Yorkshire Three, but then the true spirit of rugby shone through.

An accidental collision caused an Ossett player to suffer a serious leg injury in the 58th minute with his team leading 15-9, and the 'Ensians physio raced from the sideline to help attend to him.

The stricken player had to remain on the pitch until an ambulance arrived though, and with the light deteriorating fast, the game was called off, and will now be replayed later in the season.

Players and supporters did what they could to help during the incident and in the clubhouse afterwards, 'Ensians made a collection for the injured man, who responded with a message of thanks the next day.

It had been a tight game throughout before the unexpected early finish, and it was 'Ensians who started brightest, with Will Cooper converting a penalty after only three minutes.

After 12 minutes however, following numerous phases by the well drilled home forwards, their stand off chipped the ball towards touch, surprising the visitors' defence.

The Ossett winger kicked on to win the chase and score a well converted try out wide to give his side a 7-3 lead.

Play continued to be even but after 20 minutes, the home team was penalised 40 metres out and Cooper slotted the ball over to narrow the score to one point.

Five minutes later, full-back Luke Cowdell fielded the ball on his own 22 metre line and crashed through four tackles to make 50 metres, but was dragged down by a last ditch tackle with the line in sight.

Not to be outdone, the home team then forced a lineout on the 'Ensians five metre line. But in the following drive, they knocked on inches short.

A couple of minutes later, Cowdell saved a try with a great tackle on the home team's speedy winger, who was racing towards the line.

In the last move before half-time, the visitors were penalised and Ossett gained the three points to give them a 10-6 lead at the break.

'Ensians made a great start to the second half, showing their true potential.

The whole team, forwards and backs, stormed into the home 22, coming up inches short but still winning a penalty.

From the resulting five metre lineout, Ali Campbell climbed high to collect the ball and again the drive was stopped inches short.

'Ensians then won a penalty and Cooper scored again to reduce the home lead to one point.

Ossett came back and found a hole in the visiting defence to score an unconverted try to increase their lead to 15-9, before the injury incident occurred.