YARNBURY had a new recruit in the first team with Charles Lang coming in at hooker and he picked up a win in his first game, as his side eventually eased past Thornensians 27-12 in Yorkshire Two.

A chaotic start and some disjointed rugby in the first half saw Yarnbury stand off George Oldridge off target with his kicking. He bagged an early penalty but could not convert a further two easy chances

Visitors Thorne also missed several chances to score before good interchanges got winger Zach Holgate away in the Yarnbury 22. He carved through the centre of the field to score an easy try, with captain Tom Holt converting under the posts.

Yarnbury were in trouble but the defining moment of the half came when Holgate was put into space and headed towards the try line, only to be tackled at the last minute by winger Josh Bell.

The danger was cleared as the half finished just 7-3 in arrears for the home side.

The second half saw Josh Bateson move to the wing to use his pace out wide, with Luke Cowley making way, and player-coach James Endersby coming in at inside centre.

The transformation was immediate.

Yarnbury went down the pitch on the left and were awarded a penalty, which Oldridge kicked to the five-metre line.

From the lineout, the Yarnbury pack drove over the try line. Tom Whitfield got the touchdown but full back Jack Brown unluckily hit the post from the left touchline with his conversion attempt.

Nevertheless,Yarnbury now had momentum and went further ahead. Oldridge went for touch again from a penalty and George Bowen took a good catch at the lineout, passing off the top to second row James Falgate, who burst over for an impressive touch down.

This time, Brown swung in the conversion between the posts to open up a 15-7 lead.

Then, a planned move and inside pass saw winger Bateson carve through under the posts, with Brown converting.

A sweeping move out wide right got Bell away after some slick short passing and he touched down near the posts for the fourth and unconverted try, giving Yarnbury a much needed bonus point and daylight over their opponents.

The final ten minutes saw the plucky opponents batter at the home side's line. Great defence across the park kept out Thorne but poor clearing kicks left them on the attack.

They finally got a consolation try following a wild long pass from Oldridge under his own posts.

It dribbled to the wide left defence and was knocked on. That gave Thorne another chance to go for the line and prop Quinn Leggott went over.