GUISELEY earned a point from their trip to Boston United in the Vanarama National League North despite playing more than three quarters of the game with 10 men.

It had been a quiet start to the game and the first card of any colour was a yellow shown to the Pilgrims’ Karl Byrne in the 16th minute for a foul on Dylan Barkers.

Three minutes later Guiseley’s George Cantrill saw red after being guilty of a poor challenge on Alex Whittle in front of the dugouts which caused a reaction from coaches and substitutes.

The home side were on top for a long period after the sending off and they briefly played against nine men. The Lions’ Hamza Bencherif sustained a facial injury and was forced off for treatment, returning two minutes later with a shirt with no number.

Guiseley’s 10 men broke the deadlock eight minutes into the second half. A corner from Brad Nicholson picked out the in-form Aaron Martin and he headed past Pilgrims’ keeper Peter Crook from an angle.

The Lions defended well to frustrate Boston but 20 minutes from time a rash decision from visiting keeper George Sykes-Kenworthy led to an equaliser. The young stopper, on loan until January from Bradford City, fouled Jordan Thewlis and the Boston man stepped up to net the resulting penalty.

Meanwhile, Farsley Celtic got back to winning ways thanks to a late Ben Atkinson strike at the Citadel against Spennymoor Town.

The Celts almost got off to a perfect start as Dave Syers sent in a half volley in the first minute but it just didn’t dip enough to trouble Moors keeper Matt Gould.

After that chances were at a premium but just before the half hour mark Gould made a fine save to deny Syers.

The best chance for the visitors in the first half was a shot from Glen Johnson that was deflected wide.

Farsley had a good chance before the break when skipper Danny Ellis got a volley on target following a corner which forced Gould into a top drawer save.

Gold and his opposite number Elliott Wynne were both called upon in the second half, albeit infrequently.

It looked to be drifting to a goalless conclusion before Atkinson got to an excellent delivery from Will Hayhurst to glance home a header.

The Bet Victor Northern League finally got under way at the weekend, two weeks after most of the other steps on the football pyramid, and Brighouse Town started their campaign in the North West Division with a goalless draw at Clitheroe.

The second tier of the Northern League, which had been sponsored by Evo-Stik over the past few seasons, had an East/West divide last term so Brighouse and Lancashire outfit Clitheroe were kept apart so it was new ground for Vill Powell’s Town.