YARNBURY ran in 12 tries to give Wetherby a 74-0 drubbing at Brownberrie Lane on Saturday.

The final Yorkshire Two league game of the season meant changed sides for both teams, as they are likely to meet again in the final of the Yorkshire Silver Trophy in a fortnight's time

at a neutral venue, but the home side's big victory gave their opponents something to ponder.

Yarnbury's pack set the platform for their quick and slick young back line, but lost prop Richard Lister in the second half which is a worry for the upcoming final.

Yarnbury took the game by the scruff of the neck at the start and never let the pressure off until the final whistle scoring 12 tries and seven conversions, mainly through pace and slick handling through the backs and back row following controlled ball from the pack at the set play and breakdown.

The organisation and planned moves were apparent from coaches Bob Hood and Gary Walker throughout the game.

The appreciation of the coaching skills and organisation was apparent at the end of the game as the players to a man cheered the coaches off the field.

Full-back Kieran McCauley made a break on three minutes and recycled ball gave left winger Graham Maycock, who raced in for the first try in the left corner. Will Marshall scored the extras.

Full-back Kieran McCauley then finished off a move involving backs and forwards to increase the lead to 12-0 with an unconverted try.

Wetherby full back Andrew Tropman made a try-saving tackle on Graham Maycock on 16 minutes, but Yarnbury were in for a third try when McCauley crossed following a good five-metre scrum, which Will Marshall could not convert.

Then following a pacy break by winger Josh Bateson, his inside pass allowed back row George Bowen to cross the line. Marshall converted.

Centre Tom O’Brien got in on the act for the fifth try when the ball went loose out of a ruck and winger Bateson showed too much speed on an arcing run for the sixth, both of which were converted by Marshall.

Yarnbury went into half-time 36-0 in front with a four-try bonus in the bag.

The second half was mainly a procession where Yarnbury scored six further tries.

O’Brien chipped through and collected his own ball, replacement stand-off Danny Pound finished off a slick move, replacement prop Tom Whitfield weaved his way over from close in, Marshall then went under the posts backing up before prop Lewis Catha went in the corner and finally McCauley made it twelve tries in total. Three of the final six tries were converted by Marshall and one by Pound.

In fairness to Wetherby, they never gave up and No 10 Miles Oates was a danger from stand-off and made some good tackles whilst trying to get his backs moving forward, ably backed up by second row Jim Greenwood and Jack Rae at No 8.

They will be much stronger in a fortnight's time if they make the Silver Trophy final by beating Redcar next week.