GUISELEY’S woes continued as they broke their run of three consecutive draws in the National League North with a 1-0 home defeat to mid-table Alfreton Town.

Billy Heath’s Reds were only four points better off than the Lions before kick off and have played one game more. But they have pulled away and left Guiseley just one place and three points above the relegation places.

The home side had an early penalty shout as Rowan Liburd was pulled back but the referee awarded a free kick on the edge of the area. Minutes later they created a good opening but Scott Garner fired over the bar.

Alfreton responded with a half-chance midway through the first period when former Bradford (Park Avenue) man Nathan Hotte recycled the ball back into the Guiseley area to Bobby Johnson but he fired wide.

Johnson began the quick counter attack in the 36th minute that led to the Reds’ winning goal. After bringing the ball out he found Danny O’Brien and his cross was headed in by Jordan Sinnott from close range.

Guiseley went in search of an equaliser before the break but the visitors’ Martin Riley cleared a shot off the line and just before the break Liburd fired a shot across the face of Alfreton keeper Sam Ramsbottom’s goal that went just wide of the far corner.

There were very few chances in the second half. Sinnott drilled a free kick over in the first minute but after that just followed a succession of blocked efforts from the home side.

Former Bradford City youth Akeel Francis made his Guiseley debut, replacing Curtis Morrison, and assistant manager Paul Clayton came on against his former club, Kayode Odejayi making way for him.

But the changes didn’t lead to a breakthrough despite a lot of late pressure as Ramsbottom gathered crosses and defenders hurled their bodies on the line.

Heath’s side did what Guiseley have not been able to do recently by holding on for a win thanks to good game management.

The Lions’ joint manager and former Alfreton boss Russ O’Neill said: “We’re bitterly disappointed – I don’t think we played with a lot of quality but in terms of territory and chances, and ball into their box we did alright.

“We had a couple of penalty shouts and they had only one breakaway shot on goal. In the second half I think they had one effort from distance, about 30 yards out. But if you don’t take your chances when they drop to you that’s what happens.

“We had chances but they blocked on the line and we had a lot of corners and long throw after long throw. To be fair to Alfreton they have defended manfully and took their one chance on then breakaway.

“We’ve got to keep going and improve.”