OLD Otliensians showed great determination but lost 43-8 to a strong Leodiensian side at Chaffer's Field on Saturday.

Coming off an unfortunate result against Roundhegians, facing a team only a few points from the top of the Yorkshire Two and with a number of influential players unavailable through injury, the match against Leos was always going to be an uphill struggle for 'Ensians.

There is little doubt the Leeds team had the upper hand for in a first 40 minutes played mainly in the ‘Ensians’ own half.

After being held up over the line and prevented from grounding following 10 minutes of play, Leos scored three unanswered tries in a period of 15 minutes.

After Leos' second try, a driving maul by the 'Ensians' forwards to their opposition’s line and excellent movement of the ball by the backs was brought to a halt by foul play, resulting in the first of three yellow cards for Leos. The penalty awarded was converted by fly half Will Cooper.

Trailing 19-3 at half-time, the second half saw 'Ensians playing into a strengthening wind, which played a part in the away team extending their lead.

Within five minutes of the re-start, an Otliensians’ kick failed to find touch and the ball was quickly moved along the Leos' back line resulting in an unconverted try.

Another try for the opposition shortly followed after an intercepted pass.

Despite a mounting score against them, the home team maintained a remarkable determination, with the forwards holding their own in the tight and showing their strength in the line-outs, where flanker Dougie Elgar was outstanding.

The backs endeavoured to maintain the attacking flair which has been their hallmark over the last few years.

Despite the conditions, the team effort should have been rewarded 25 minutes into the second half when the forwards drove Leos back to the try line.

A yellow card given to the Leos' prop was followed by a scrum. 'Ensians won it but lost the ball and Leos cleared.

Regrouping, the home side again drove to the Leos' line and, whilst it did appear that a penalty try might have been merited, progress was stopped and a third yellow card was incurred by the visitors.

As a reward for a great deal of effort, 'Ensians scored a late try when the backs combined well to send in centre Ted Stanford. The conversion hit the upright from a very difficult kick into the wind.