TWO penalties by Ben Smith saw Otley secure their first clean sheet for over four years when they beat Chester 6-0 in a National League Two North encounter at Cross Green on Saturday.

The Yorkshiremen earned themselves a highly satisfactory win in Arctic conditions, in a game which the forwards dominated.

Having gathered the kick-off, Otley took the game to Chester and kept the visitors penned in their own half.

A Jack Mackie grubber kick into their 22 was their first opening, but Ben Foden kicked the ball into touch.

Otley did not release after the line-out and the attack broke down.

Chester had the occasional foray into Otley’s half but were penalised on 13 minutes for not releasing on their ten metre line, and Ben Smith stepped up to convert the penalty.

Otley were soon again on the front foot when Chester gave away two penalties, pushing the visitors into the left-hand corner.

From the line-out they moved the ball into the centre, and whilst they lost possession they were able to get it back again.

The pressure finally told just after the half hour mark, and Ben Smith doubled the score to make it 6-0 to Otley.

Otley continued in a similar vein to the end of the half, although a third penalty went wide.

They kicked off the second half into the cold wind, and gave away two penalties bringing play back into their half.

Having weathered Otley’s blitz, Chester came into their own. A rolling maul came close but they could not ground the ball.

In another attack, Chester worked the ball wide in Otley’s 22 and from a penalty tried to get over the line but were held up.

Otley saw less of the ball, although James Dyson's run deep into the visitor’s half delighted the now singing supporters, after which a drop goal attempt went wide.

Chester’s second position in the league is justified, and were again held up on the line.

With a penalty in hand, they went for the corner but lost the ball in the line-out.

In a subsequent scrum, the Chester pack was pushed back some 15 metres leaving tractor marks as they went.

The visitors ended the game attacking Otley’s line, but the home side’s stalwart defence held firm.

Harry Skelton was named as Otley's Player of the Match.