ILKLEY Town remain undefeated in cup competitions this season after a dominant display saw them beat East End Park 8-1 to progress in the West Yorkshire League Cup.

Just one division separated the two sides and following East End's 5-2 win over Premier Division Hunslet last time out, Ilkley were fully expecting a tough afternoon at Ben Rhydding Sports Club.

That classic cup tie never developed however, in a game which Ilkley dominated from start to finish.

Town's first goal came 20 minutes in when Harry Brown's blocked cross broke kindly for Joe Hendrie, who swept a sublime effort into the bottom corner.

Toby Harris doubled the lead seven minutes later as Brown's cross this time found its target allowing Harris to convert from close range.

Harris made it three just before the break, with Brown the architect once more winning the ball back in the East End half before picking out Hendrie to feed Harris, who found the bottom corner.

East End struck back early after the break as a cross found Ash Hubbard at the far post to finish.

But Town quelled any fears of a fightback, making it 4-1 when Hendrie reacted quickest to Harris' saved effort to drill it in from 20 yards.

Harris claimed his hat-trick after 68 minutes as Dave Hancock's long throw over the East End defence was just in reach of the forward's boot to clip it past the keeper.

Substitute Matt Whitehead quickly got in on the action as Hendrie took advantage of a poor clearance to set Whitehead free to score, before a delightful moment saw academy graduate Benji Claydon net his first senior goal, as Whitehead provided the final ball of some scintillating build-up play to give Claydon a tap-in.

Adam Davey netted an eight at the death rising to head home Dan Chadwick's corner, rounding off a statement win for Town.

Manager Simon Armstrong was satisfied with the result but believed his side could have been far more ruthless.

He said: "It was a good performance, but we could have played better as there were frustrating elements.

"The main one being that we conceded a very sloppy goal. We could have been better in the final third also, a little more dynamic and the lads have agreed with me that the tempo wasn't great.

"Having said that, we scored eight goals, and we could have scored more, so all-in-all today was about making the next round which we achieved, so we're happy."

Hendrie was crucial to Ilkley's play all afternoon and he admitted he was happy to get the chance to play in a more attacking role.

"I'm relishing the opportunity," he said. "The manager has given me a new role in the team playing in the front three and I seem to be fitting in well."

"East End got a good result last week against Hunslet so we thought we were in for a tough game, so we came with the right attitude to come and win which we did."

Brown, who was a creative force for Town, added: "They made the game hard in the sense that they turned the ball over a lot meaning we were constantly on the attack, so I think for us we had to change the tempo and recycle the ball rather than a constant barrage of attack as it was at times.

"When we started to knock it around in the second half, that's when we began to cut them open."