A CLASSIC West Riding County Challenge Cup tie saw Pool beat visitors Gildersome Spurs Old Boys 2-1, with the losing side showing why they are leading the Yorkshire Amateur League Second Division.

Gildersome had the best of the first half, but Pool defended well, with a couple of perfectly timed last ditch tackles from James Carroll and Adam Caldow, followed by a Billy Drake block and near post save from keeper Andy Doey, keeping them at bay.

The second half started badly for Pool as they made a silly mistake to gift Gildersome an open goal, which they gratefully accepted.

This could have knocked the stuffing out of Pool, but the reverse was the case as they dominated the rest of the match.

Gildersome defended resolutely though, and Pool were finding it difficult to capitalise on their superiority until Jamie Algar turned the defence inside out, resulting in a mistimed challenge which gave them a penalty.

Algar stepped up to take it, only to see his effort well saved. Pool again refused to give up, continuing their positive play.

They then got the fortune which their display deserved when a cleanly struck free kick from Scott Firth curled beyond everyone in the penalty area and into the corner of the net.

Gildersome immediately attacked, forcing Doey into a near post save before Pool again pushed forward, forcing a string of corners.

One resulted in a goalmouth scramble, with Ryan Firth being alert enough to force the ball home. The last five minutes were frantic but Pool held on for a deserved victory and can now look forward to the third round in December.

Pool Reserves took on York league outfit Malt Shovel, from Selby, in the second round of the County Challenge Trophy, in a game which was always going to be an uphill struggle, and so it proved, as they fell to a 9-1 defeat.

Alex Kontos actually put Pool in front early on with an excellent strike. They held the lead for over half an hour before a decisive ten minute spell just before half time saw Malt Shovel turn the match on its head with three quick goals.

A fourth early in the second half was the final straw, as Pool's attempts to get back into the match left gaps at the back which were duly exploited. It was a match best forgotten for the second string, who return to league action next week.