Ilkley Town 3

Hunslet Club 3

IN a crazy 90 minutes of Premier Division football, Ilkley Town were able to rescue a point at Ben Rhydding Sports Club against a dangerous Hunslet side.

With both outfits firing early warnings, Hunslet made the breakthrough 17 minutes in as Omri Linfoot broke free in the box before firing under James Hirst.

With the hosts struggling to find any rhythm in the game, the calm head of Jordan Boxhall-James was needed to level the game, as he latched on to Tom Smith's deflected shot to volley in from close range.

With the teams level at the break it was no secret that the second-half would be a fast-paced affair, but what followed was beyond all expectations.

Linfoot would grab his second of the game, tapping in Kyle Swithenbank's cross at the far post, before the pacey winger almost turned provider, back-healing to Kieran Corley, who smashed his volley against the bar.

One minute later Ilkley drew level, as fantastic dribbling from Nicc Hewitt saw him carve his way into the box before playing it along the goal-line for Matt Whitehead to smash home.

Seven minutes later and Hunslet were ahead again when Ilkley failed to deal with a ball into the six-yard area.

Town needed just three minutes to level, as Joe Garside's corner picked out Nicc Hewitt whose powerful header was well saved, but Darren Munday was there on the follow up to nod in.

Ilkley would have snatched all three points in the closing stages if it wasn't for the heroics of Cameron Boldy to deny Tom Smith from close range, preserving a point for the visitors.

Town manager Simon Armstrong said: "We knew it was going to be a tough game, but I was disappointed with the goals we conceded. We defended poorly and can do better.

"We did show great resilience however, going behind three times and coming back on each occasion which is good, but we had some very good chances to win the game.

"But at least we are creating opportunities and getting in the right places. On another day we could have scored six."

Hewitt's build-up play was vital in Ilkley's equaliser, and he quite rightly was happy with his display.

He said: "I'm happy with what I managed to do out there in the second-half especially.

"I was pushed further forward and for Matty's goal I was able to get past the right-back and square it to Matty, so I'm chuffed with that.

"We were sloppy at the beginning of the game before coming back into it, then we gave another silly goal away so we had to work very hard for a point in the end."

Tom Fleming put in an important shift for his side covering almost every inch of turf throughout the game, which is something he says he is always prepared to do for his side.

He said: "I'm always happy getting up and down the pitch. I will drop deep sometimes because we are always interchanging so it's just a case of me making sure I keep working hard."

Ilkley return to action on Saturday as they travel to league leaders Leeds City (2.30pm kick-off).