HANGING Heaton produced a stunning performance to defeat holders South Northumberland to reach the last eight of the Vitality ECB Club T20.

They triumphed by 18 runs in front of a jubilant crowd at Bennett Lane and will now travel to Lincolnshire to face Bracebridge in the Regional final next Sunday.

Victory in that match will qualify them for finals day, which is being staged on the County Ground at Derby on Sunday, September 16.

The area final, delayed a week because of rain, proved to be memorable for the host club.

They started by winning a close-fought semi-final against Hunters ECB Yorkshire Premier League North side Woodhouse Grange.

Hanging Heaton triumphed by ten runs and they were indebted to some late hitting from Josh Holling as they made 165-8.

Holling hit four sixes in his unbeaten 32 to give the innings impetus after a tight four-over spell from Woodhouse Grange skipper James Finch (2-15).

Woodhouse Grange got off to a good start as Tom Young (61) and Chris Bilton (28) shared an opening stand of 66.

Young hit two sixes and nine fours in his thrilling 36-ball knock, but once he departed Hanging Heaton hit back with spinner Callum Geldart (3-27) and paceman Tom Chippendale (3-33) helping to restrict the York side to 165-8.

South Northumberland defeated the North Yorkshire South Durham T20 champions Barnard Castle by six wickets to set up a final which simply rained boundaries.

Hanging Heaton were given a lightning start when they batted first, with Ben Kohler-Cadmore setting the tone with 66 from 39 balls.

His innings contained four sixes and seven fours, and the good work continued with Joe Fraser making 53 from 43 deliveries.

The real fireworks were still to come, however, as big-hitting David Stiff smashed an unbeaten 60 from just 18 balls as Hanging Heaton scored 217-4 from their 20 overs.

Stiff struck six sixes and four balls as he tore into the South Northumberland attack.

It says much for the character and quality of the South Northumberland side that they didn't feel daunted by chasing such a big score.

David Edwards (48) and Durham player Liam Trevaskis (33) led the holders' assault, and at 64-2 after six overs, South Northumberland were on track.

Hanging Heaton held their nerve and after second-teamer Chris Goodair had dismissed the dangerous Trevaskis, the required rate started to rise.

Wickets tumbled in pursuit of quick runs and Chippendale (4-31) cashed in as South Northumberland were dismissed for 199 with nine balls of their innings remaining.

A remarkable match had produced 416 runs and was a great advert for club T20 cricket.