BEN Rhydding under-18 Girls agonisingly missed out on the England Hockey National Indoor Super6s title.

They lost 4-3 in a thrilling final against Repton at Whitgift School in Croydon.

Ironically, Rhydding, the North champions, had opened their challenge against the midland side in their first group match which they lost 5-2

Repton had two goals disallowed before taking a 2-0 half-time lead.

Rhydding hit back after the break with two Lauren Ellwood goals before Repton scored three goals in the closing minutes to run out winners.

Rhydding were more composed against West champions Isca in a match they knew they had to win.

Two first-half goals from Lucy Williams had Isca on the back foot, and further goals from Rafa Brandao-Lee and Fiona Crackles secured a 4-0 win.

Day two saw Rhydding face Old Loughtonians and they edged a close first half with a goal by Ellwood.

Rhydding dominated possession after the break with Williams scoring either side of a Loughton goal.

Elwood's second goal and one from Nisha Cant sealed a 5-1 win.

The final group match saw Rhydding tackle outdoor champions Surbiton and a hat-trick from Williams helped them to secure a 4-4 draw and a place in the semi-finals. Elwood was also on target in a match which saw Surbiton force the draw with two late goals.

Rhydding’s opponents in their semi-final were Beeston, who had topped the other pool.

Beeston pushed high up the pitch to put pressure on Rhydding, but who played their best hockey of the weekend.

They ran out 6-1 winners Williams, and Elwood gave them a 2-0 lead at the break, while Brandao-Lee (2), Becky Hadfield and Crackles rounded off the scoring.

Beeston scored a late consolation goal, but the result meant the Rhydding girls were through to their first national final.

There was an early setback as Repton went ahead from a penalty corner, but Rhydding equalised immediately through Williams. The remainder of the half saw Rhydding defending with everything they had left.

The second half saw Rhydding up their game for one last time. Two point-blank saves by the Repton keeper kept the scores even, but it was Brandao-Lee who pounced on a rebound from another Williams shot, to fire the ball home.

Repton were soon level when their top scorer scored her second of the game.

There were chances at both ends before Rhydding fell behind.

The Ilkley girls thought they should have been awarded a penalty corner, but the ball was cleared from the Repton D, and the fast break resulted in a goal.

When Repton extended their lead to 4-1, Rhydding withdrew keeper Sophie Dale and changed formation in an attempt to get back in the match.

Crackles was denied a goal by another spectacular save and hit the bar before Williams netted with a minute remaining.

From the restart Repton kept possession, and despite Rhydding’s best effort to close down and secure the ball, they were unable to do so.

The girls next match is outdoors in the under-18s National Championships last 16 round at Alderley Edge on February 4.