Vanarama National League: Eastleigh 4 Guiseley 2

GUISELEY scored two goals away from home but still ended up on the end of a heavy defeat as the Spitfires shot them down at the Silverlake Stadium.

Andy Hessenthaler’s Eastleigh put distance between themselves and the relegation battle in the Vanarama National League with the three points, but the result left the Lions in deep trouble.

Paul Cox’s men remain second from bottom, nine points from safety and only two better off than basement boys Torquay United.

The Spitfires took off early as they broke the deadlock inside the first minute, with Cav Miley heading in at the near post.

The Lions were level in the 18th minute, however, as Mike Fondop, who had just seen his header cleared off the line by Andy Boyce, played the ball in for Rowan Liburd to fire past home keeper Ross Flitney.

Fondop had a great chance to put the visitors in front midway through the first half after a great move.

Jake Sheppard and Alex Purver were involved in the build up before Fondop had only Flitney to beat, but the keeper made a fine save.

The visitors were made to pay for that and some later profligacy in front of goal as the Spitfires were soon in front again, and they never looked back.

The Hampshire side were a goal to the good at half-time after Chris Zebroski was allowed to set himself before unleashing a fierce drive from a tight angle.

Former Bradford City man Mark Yeates featured prominently as the Spitfires took the game away from Guiseley within a seven-minute second-half spell.

The Irishman scored Eastleigh’s third and clamed the assist for the fourth.

Yates fired past beleaguered Lions keeper Jonny Maxted after getting onto the end of long goal kick from Flitney.

Minutes later, Maxted fumbled a Yeates free-kick and Spitfires’ skipper Callum Howe was the quickest to react, slotting the loose ball into the net.

The Lions reduced the arrears when substitute James Roberts was fouled in the area and converted the resulting penalty.

 Liburd and Callum McFadzean had wasted chances to level for Guiseley late in the first half, and Flitney did exceptionally well to ensure there was no nail-biting ending as he made a brilliant reaction save to deny Fondop eight minutes from time with the score at 4-2.

The Lions will have little time to lick their wounds as they host Gateshead on Tuesday.

The Heed dropped to 18th in the table yesterday after a 2-0 home defeat to third-placed Sutton United.