Yorkshire Division Three: Aireborough 36 Baildon 12

SUCCESSIVE RFU Junior Vase finals at Twickenham in 2012 and 2013 seem a world away for Baildon.

Even seven straight Yorkshire Division Three victories at the beginning of last season seem a distant memory.

The Jenny Laners ended last season with 13 wins and 13 defeats, but this campaign has been nothing but a slog for them as they sit bottom of the table with just two wins from 12 matches.

They have only ten points, whereas next-to-bottom Stocksbridge have 16 and then there are then four clubs on either 22 or 23.

However, there is no talk of relegation at Baildon, with player-coach Robbie Hill, sidelined with a shoulder injury, saying: "The previous two weeks' performances were positive.

"However, we didn't set a tempo here and only really started playing after an hour, which was too little, too late."

Aireborough, whose side seemed equally shorn of forwards and backs, are in mid-table, although they aren't high enough up the standings to be able to relax.

"We had ten to 15 players injured in the first two or three weeks," explained centre Liam Cree, who is tipping Aireborough to finish eighth – the position they currently occupy.

Meanwhile, replacement Tom Copsey, who is backing his team to finish fifth, is hoping that Baildon survive, saying: "I know a lot of their players from rugby league and they are a good set of lads, but we gave a good performance."

Aireborough took charge when Baildon failed to secure the kick-off.

The hosts won penalties for not rolling away and a high tackle from referee Griff Griffiths (North Yorkshire Society), but somehow Baildon survived, with their No 8 Dan Cookson pinching possession.

The reprieve was only temporary, however, as fly half Nick Houldsworth went over on the left in the seventh minute, scrum half Ollie Catherall missing the conversion.

Aireborough's big right winger Matthew Jones saw plenty of the ball early on, and he combined with Catherall three minutes later for the half-back to cross, with the left-footed Houldsworth adding the conversion from the right-hand side of the pitch.

Baildon's line was breached again in the 15th minute when Aireborough No 8 Jonny Mackey was held just short before getting his hands on the ball again seconds later to score.

It wasn't until the 22nd minute that the visitors had their first running opportunity, with wingers Dan Fletcher and Nathan King combining.

But that was an isolated raid, and the hosts got their bonus-point try ten minutes later after King was forced to kick the ball into touch a metre from his own line.

Aireborough won the line-out and Mackey went over for his second of the afternoon and his eighth of the season.

Leading 22-0 at half-time, the home side got their fifth try five minutes into the second half when skipper Catherall intercepted to score, with Houldsworth converting.

Baildon's first bout of sustained pressure came after 50 minutes, and they got their opening try five minutes later via a rolling maul from a line-out.

Prop Guy Price got the touchdown for Matty Robinson to convert, but Aire were a man down at the time as replacement Tom Pendriss was on all fours after a blow to the throat.

Aireborough prop Lewis Eastwood scampered over for their sixth try in the 58th minute, Catherall converting, but Baildon got the last score 17 minutes later when full back Luke Strauss' kick infield gave lock Matthew Fox the chance to pounce.

The Jenny Laners could also have scored with the last play of the game, but they blew a three to one overlap.