Addingham Legends 4

Addingham Veterans 2

A CHARITY match was played at Addingham in Saturday between the club’s double-winning side from 1997 and an over 35s veteran team drawn from former players.

The match was arranged to raise money for multiple sclerosis on the behalf of former player and manager Brendon Dennis, who died earlier this year and to celebrate 125 years since the first football team was formed in the village.

In front of a large crowd, the legends took an early stranglehold of the match, despite their advanced years.

Damian Smithson showed intent by forcing a top drawer save from Tim Fendyke in the Veterans goal.

This was only the third time that the Legends had played together since 1997, but you would not have known.

Their understanding came to fruition in the 15th minute, when superb link up play between Quaife, Si Collins and Mick Kernick found Brian Wild on the edge of the box.

Wild turned his marker inside out, before releasing a shot with the outside of his boot which curled into the net.

With the Legends playing the quality football they dominated the opposition with in 1997, it was no surprise when they doubled their lead after 20 minutes.

Jeremy Parker turned his marker to release Smithson, who left three defenders in his wake before striking an unstoppable shot from 25 yards out into the bottom corner.

This seemed to deflate the Veterans, and with the Legends dominating, it was no surprise when Jamie Barrow ghosted past Bates and Potts and one on one with Fendyke, rounded the stricken keeper before netting.

Then five minutes before half-time, Barrow grabbed his second and the Legends fourth by stabbing in from six yards out after Kernick had tormented the defence.

Manager Paul Smith rallied his Veterans and changed their formation at the break.

The Veterans, with nothing lose, showed true Addingham grit. They took the game to the Legends and put them on the back foot.

Following a superb move involving Butcher, Dale and Johnson, Steve Perkins found himself one on one with Andy Dobson and made no mistake. Dobson pulled off a save of the highest order to deny Tom Rennolds, with Glynn Collins firing over for the Legends.

With five minutes to go, the veterans grabbed a second when Andy Sharp broke through the Legends defence to fire past the advancing Dobson.

At the final whistle both teams were given a standing ovation, with this being the last time the Legends side will play together.

After the match, there was a presentation at The Crown in Addingham, where it was announced that over £1,100 had been raised for MS, which will be donated to the Skipton branch on the behalf of Brendon Dennis.