Ilkley Town 2 Baildon Trinity Athletic 0

ILKLEY Town lifted the Resource Print Solutions sponsored Wharfedale Challenge Cup for the second time in three years at Nethermoor on Monday.

They took an early lead through Richard Schofield. He capitalised when the Baildon centre half headed James Hirst’s long clearance over his own keeper and slotted home.

Baildon had a couple of first half chances but could not find a way to beat the confident Hirst.

Ilkley controlled the game more in the second half, playing better football and really starting to use the width of the pitch.

As the half progressed Baildon pushed more and more, leaving space and opportunity for Ilkley to break.

It was from one of these breaks that Ilkley almost doubled their lead. The ball was played to Adam Fowler, who played the perfect through ball for the run of Schofield but keeper John Lamb got a touch to his attempted chip.

Adam Davey, whose quality seemed to improve as the game went on, was the provider as again on the break he found the run of Adam Fowler to the left of the penalty area.

He took a positive touch past the defender and hit a stinging shot which was well saved.

In the 80th minute Ilkley got the second goal their play had deserved.

It was once again a break as Baildon committed men forward.

Ilkley moved the ball from the left to the right before Schofield placed a pass in the path of the dynamic Danny Bott.

Rather then smash the ball home, Bott demonstrated real class and ability by chipping the ball into the far corner of the net.

Ilkley had a couple of penalty shouts rejected in the second half, while Baildon threw caution to the wind in the closing minutes in a desperate bid to salvage something from the game.

Their efforts were in vain and it was Town captain Ben Dexter who lifted the trophy.

The man-of-the-match award went to Ilkley defender Darren Munday who gave a commanding performance.

To reach the final Ilkley Town had beaten Burley Trojans 3-1, Pool AFC 4-3 in extra-time and Rawdon Old Boys 2-1.

Baildon reached the final by beating Bradford FC 2-1 and Horsforth St Margaret’s A 3-1.

The match officials were Lee Creasey assisted by Martin Ashworth and Graham Morris with Adam Bowen as fourth official.

Ilkley Town: James Hirst; Ben Dexter, Jack Murray, James Wilson, Andy Bloom, Darren Munday, Connor Greenwood, Danny Bott, Adam Fowler, Richard Schofield, Adam Davey. Subs Dave Hancock, Ross Hutchison, Gareth Pickup, Alex Wormall, Matt Tollefson.

Baildon Trinity: John Lamb; Oliver Spence, Lee Rands, Thomas Craven, Elliot Moody, Danny Jowett, Andrew Radosevic, Danny Milner, Ben Craven, Louis Francis, John O’Connell. Subs Sean McVey, Ben McKenzie, Dean Rands.