GLIMPSES of more than a century of life in Menston can be seen in these photographs.

The images, from the archives of Aireborough Historical Society, date back as far as around 1900, and give an insight into the changing life of the area.

The oldest, top right, shows Menston Methodist Church on Main Street. It was taken onto a slide by prolific Yeadon photographer E E Slater.

The picture on the top left was taken in the 1950s and shows men at work in Murphy’s Foundry.

A pastoral view of Menston Main Street is the subject of an undated photograph which can be seen bottom left.

Just south of the village the Victorian High Royds Hospital has dominated the local area since 1888 when it opened as the West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum.

The imposing gothic hospital, was set in a large estate, and included a library, surgery, dispensary, butchery, dairies, bakery, shop, and workshops. If they were able to, patients were expected to work around the complex.

One of the pictures shows patients taking part in haymaking in a field off Thorpe Lane on the Menston/Guiseley boundary.

The hospital closed in 2003 and is now a housing estate.