RAWDON’S very own “castle” has been a landmark since it was built in 1884.

Buckstone Hall was constructed for Herbert Dewhirst, top left, and was designed by architects Lockwood and Mawson.

It was referred to scathingly by local people as “Little Windsor” or “The Castle”. But it made enough of an impact to appear on a number of postcards.

The Hall, which is located off Cliffe Drive, was pictured in 1900. It became a casino in the 1960s and was later converted into apartments.

Herbert Dewhirst was a partner in the Bradford firm of William Dewhirst & Co, stuff merchants and spinners.

Buckstone Hall features on all of these postcards, along with other well-known local scenes.

The tinted postcard also shows Woodleigh Drive, Buckstone Rock, the Baptist Ministerial Training College, Billing Woods, Over Lane and St Peters Church.

Among attractions on the other postcards are Woodleigh Hall, then being used as a nurses home, the Emmott Arms, Woodlands Convalescent Home, and the Wishing Gate in Cragg Wood. All pictures are from the archives of Aireborough Historical Society.