THE VILLAGE of Hawksworth can be seen in these photographs which cover a period from 1903 to the mid 1950s.

All the images are from the online archives of Aireborough Historical Society.

A snowy view, bottom right, featured on a Christmas card which was printed before 1920. At the top of the page the winter scene on Main Street was taken in the mid 1950s.

An undated postcard has views including Lilac Cottage, Main Street, Carrier Ted’s Cottage and Hawksworth Hall.

A gathering at the new Methodist Chapel, in 1903, can be seen in a photograph on the top right of the page.

The chapel replaced an earlier one which had been built in 1837 and closed in 1902. The land for the new building was donated by Frederick Hawksworth Fawkes of Farnley Hall. It was designed by Walker and Collinson of Bradford.

The final image shows the Yeadon meeting of the Yorkshire Union of Institutes at Hawksworth Hall in 1907. Mechanics Institutes were set up to provide education for the working man in the 1820s, and the concept soon spread to most towns and cities. By the middle of the 19th century there were several hundred mechanics institutes across England.