YEADON Station was one of many across the country to be closed in the 1960s - and its demolition would have been a sad event for numerous people in the town.

Although the Yeadon line was for freight it was also used by daytrippers and holiday makers when special passenger trains were laid on.

These pictures, from the archives of Aireborough Historical Society, give an overview of the life of the station from just over a decade after its opening until the final days before its demolition.

The line from Rawdon to Yeadon was opened by the Midland Railway Company in 1894. It took coal to the local mills and to the Yeadon and Guiseley Gas Company.

The fuel was collected from the station by horse and cart to deliver to the nearby gasworks on New road Side.

During Yeadon Feast Week special passenger trains were run to take workers on day trips to the seaside - with the first of the excursions being run in 1905.

The station was demolished in 1966 due to falling demand. A picture of the derelict line was donated to AHS by Barbara Winfield. A picture taken in 1948 was donated by George Girt.