THE wife of a man who suffered a stab wound to his neck following an alleged assault in an Ilkley park has spoken out to thank those who came to his aid.

The 53-year-old victim was in Ilkley's Riverside Park, with his nine-year-old twin boys testing out their new bikes on the evening of Thursday, June 7.

They entered the children's play area and found a group of youths whom the family felt were acting in an anti-social manner.

The man asked them to leave the children's play area but an altercation followed and the father received injuries from broken glass to the right side of his neck, and what was later identified by doctors as a stab wound to the left side of his neck, just below his ear.

The knife injury penetrated his ear and he now has limited hearing which he requires further treatment for.

Katie Driver, 45, of Utley, Keighley, said: "Our family would like say a huge thank you to all those who assisted us. Two ladies were walking in the park and one of them was a doctor. They took him to the pub to get towels to stem the bleeding and phoned the police and ambulance.

"We have since been told that the medical intervention had been crucial. I don't know who she is but I would like to know so we can take the children with a card to thank her.

"The police were great as well. The first officers on the scene went to great lengths to assure my children that were safe and very brave boys. They helped keep the children calm."

Katie's husband was initially taken to Airedale Hospital for treatment. “They blue lighted him to Bradford Royal Infirmary where there is a specialist ENT unit. He remained there for five days," added Katie.

Katie also praised staff at The Riverside Hotel who phoned her to let her know what had happened and looked after the children and their bikes until she arrived. "They were amazing," she said.

Katie said the incident would not stop the family enjoying Ilkley where her husband grew up and where they used to live. "Ilkley still feels like home but it does make us apprehensive," she said.

"It seems ironic that Ilkley was denied CCTV on the day of this attack and I feel that all Ilkley residents have a right to know the extent of the problems in their town."

* Police arrested six males aged between 15 and 21 in connection to the incident. Two of the males, aged 16 and 17, have since been released without charge. The others have been bailed. No one has been charged in connection to the incident.