A HOLIDAYMAKER is taking legal action after being seriously injured when the coach she was travelling in plunged down a cliff-side drop.

Marlene De Dominicis, 69, from Yeadon, had to spend four months in a body brace after the terrifying end to her holiday in Fuerteventura.

She sustained fractured vertebrae during the accident on December 11 in 2016 and had to wear a body brace for four months. She was forced to give up her job of 26 years as an office manager and is no longer able to pursue her love of dancing due to her injuries.

Marlene had come to the end of a holiday with her sister when the minibus they were travelling in left the road, overturned and fell down a steep cliff-side drop. The vehicle was owned by a local company and subcontracted by Hoppa (Resorthoppa (UK) Limited).

Now she has instructed specialist international personal injury lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate the cause of the crash and to help support her recovery and rehabilitation from her injuries.

Daniel Matchett, an international personal injury solicitor at Irwin Mitchell representing her, said:

"Marlene had enjoyed her holiday but the crash on the way home left her suffering really serious injuries which could have been life-threatening.

"She has been through a terrifying ordeal and had to wear a body brace for four months. It is important that we find out exactly what happened. Luckily, she was wearing a seatbelt, otherwise it could have been much worse.

"Marlene understandably now wants to know what happened and whilst our investigations are on-going, the police did attend the scene and we have obtained a copy of their records.

"Those records reveal that the driver of the mini-bus admitted to police that the accident was caused as a result of him falling asleep at the wheel. As a result of that admission, criminal proceedings have been commenced against the driver in Spain."

Marlene, who worked in financial services but has been forced to retire by her injuries, said: "At the end of an enjoyable holiday, I was actually looking forward to getting home. We had booked a private mini-bus transfer to the airport as we thought it would be convenient and hassle-free. However, everything changed when the accident happened. It was terrifying and completely unexpected.

"I was left with serious injuries to my back and neck and to find out afterwards that this was caused by a careless driver just adds insult to injury. I want to know what happened so that lessons can be learned and hopefully it will not happen to others in future."

The law firm is taking action against Hoppa. Anyone who may have information about the crash is asked to get in touch with Daniel Matchett at Irwin Mitchell on 0161 838 3178 or email Daniel.Matchett@IrwinMitchell.com.