WITH most players kicking their heels as they watched the rain deny them any chance of play, the rest of Aire-Wharfe League Division One had Rawdon to thank for at least stopping Beckwithshaw moving even further ahead of the pack.

It looked as though the leaders would button things up quickly when they ripped through Rawdon’s first six wickets.

But Ahmed Raja, who hit eight fours in making 38, and Ryan Gladwin, whose 40 included seven boundaries, put on 93 for the seventh wicket and Rawdon managed to bat out 32 overs for their 134.

Beckwithshaw’s openers were clearly intent on knocking off the runs as fast as possible, with Alex Lilley smashing eight fours and two sixes in an unbeaten 70 in 43 balls.

But after their first wicket went down in the tenth over at 71, Bradley Reeve (3-32) started to make inroads and the visitors were still 20 runs short when play ended.

Nevertheless, the four bonus points Beckwithshaw managed to pick up means they already have a nine-point lead over second-placed Bilton.

In the only other top-flight game with a realistic chance of a result, Nathan Goldthorp (3-41) and George Huntly (2-25) restricted struggling Collingham to 157-6, only for the weather to halt Otley’s innings just as openers David Hester and Ben Morley were starting to get into their stride.

With all Division Two a write off, attention turned to Division Three, where Menston had the chance to go top with a win at St Chads Broomfield, but had the frustration of the match ending after five overs.

Meanwhile, Bardsey were making short work of knocking off the runs after bowling out Alwoodley for 91, and climbed above Menston into third place.

There was frustration too for Harden, who looked set for victory after a nine-over 5-62 spell from Richard Falkingham restricted New Rover to 178-7 before the visitors declared.

Skipper James Roper (36no) led the chase to beat the target and the weather, and found support from Alex Antoine (26) and Mark Portlock (28) but the elements won after 17 overs.