National League Two North: Otley 31 Chester 16

OTLEY withstood a second-half resurgence by Chester to run out comfortable winners in this National League Two North clash, scoring four tries to two.

Peter Clegg, Otley's director of rugby, said: "I'm delighted with the team's performance - there were some great tries.

"There was team spirit here and, while it is work in progress, the weekday training is beginning to pay off."

Chester kicked off and made good progress into the hosts' half.

After a good line by Joshua Woods, Chester moved the ball from one touchline to the other, enabling Matthew Crow to go over in the corner.

Their pressure continued and was not helped when Otley took their eye off the ball, followed by a penalty after ten minutes for pulling down, with Liam McGovern stepping up to make the score 8-0.

Otley's forwards then got into their stride, and good interplay involving Nick Coupland, Tom Hodson and Freddie Watson gave Joe Rowntree the chance to go over and converted his own try.

A penalty in front of the posts after 20 minutes by Rowntree gave Otley the lead, and a Chester mistake at the restart gave the initiative back to Otley, with an audacious penalty kick from halfway by Rowntree going just under the posts.

Chester did not lie down, although Otley's defence held out, and the pressure was relieved when Joe Graham got the ball in his 22 and then ran to the side, winger Paul Petchey running 80 metres to score.

The visitors reduced the deficit after Otley were penalised for coming in at the side, but searing pace from the home backs extended the lead when Jack Mackie (his 20th for Otley) went over.

A minute before the half ended, a Liam Gill penalty made the half-time score 24-11, but Otley got the bonus point after sustained pressure on the Chester line, with prop Jason Moss pushing his way over the line.

For the next quarter, Chester remained camped in Otley's half and, while they had their chances, a combination of the visitors' defence and mistakes meant that they were left with nothing.

Otley responded by getting into Chester's 22. The visitors then conceded a penalty, which was put into touch, although the attack ended when a rolling maul was held up over the line.

Chester then came back to test the hosts' defence but again found it unforgiving.

The visitors' persistence paid off with a minute to go, when they worked their way towards the posts and got the ball out to former Otley player Guy Ford, who went over in the corner.