Yorkshire Division Two: Yarnbury 17 Old Crossleyans 13

YARNBURY made changes from their opening-day win at Old Grovians, with Kieran Davies at full back for the injured Will Marshall and Connor Moreton in at the last minute for centre and captain Jason Avison, who had an infection from a cut sustained at Elm Tree Farm.

Louis Atha started at prop, while second row Reece Leighton and winger Alex Clark came in for the unavailable James Falgate and Jack Brown.

Much-changed Crossleyans had strengthened with Ryan Hammond at back of the scrum as player-coach and full back Scott Caley from Siddal RLFC and stand-off Joe Gallagher from Halifax Vandals.

Crossleyans immediately took charge after receiving the kick-off, retaining the ball in the forwards and making ground against a determined defence to immediately go ahead with a close-range penalty from centre Gareth Sweeney.

Yarnbury managed to loose possession from a penalty to the corner and had Clark held up after a sweepoing backs move before home winger Ellis Gomersall had to snuff out a dangerous break by fellow winger Cameron Brannon.

The next points were also a Sweeney penalty, however, as Yarnbury were found to be offside by referee Graham Rackstraw (West Yorkshire Society).

However, Gomersall is making up for his lost season in 2016-17,and thundered up the left touchline, knocking away defenders to make the try line just before the close of the half.

Davies missed the long-range conversion, leaving the half-time score at 6-5 to Crocs.

With Davies punishing any ball with enormous clearances, the Halifax side were under intense pressure at the start of the half, and almost conceded a try when the full back came into the line, only to be hauled down looking for a pass when he could have gone himself.

Gomersall was then denied a try on the left for not grounding the ball properly, while Crossleyans had a man sin-binned for persistent offending at the ruck.

Davies then finished off a move out wide and converted his own try to give Yarnbury a 12-6 lead.

Prop Pete Tennet then got the hosts' third try before they conceded a try in the final minute to Brannan following sustained pressure, Sweeney converting.

Yarnbury#s pack deserved credit for never taking a backward step against very physical opponents.