National League Two North: Wharfedale 14 Otley 17

TO have to defend like that and for so long and still win – wonderful!

This was just the reaction of one Otley supporter to the derby against Wharfedale at Threshfield.

It took Otley nearly 30 minutes to get into their hosts' half after the turnaround, such was the pressure that Wharfedale put on Otley's back line.

However, while lapses in passing, combined with wrong options by the hosts, helped, determination, exemplified by superb defence, secured the bragging rights for Otley.

But they still need to do something about a penalty count that displeased referee Callum Sharp so much, and earned them two yellow cards.

Otley had already given away two penalties within the first four minutes, and it was fortunate that Dale's 15-metre attempt sailed wide of the posts.

Spurred on, Otley made steady progress upfield after the Otley pack had secured good field position, and Joe Rowntree went over the whitewash close to the posts, also converting the try.

After Robbie Davidson missed another penalty for the hosts, Rowntree made an audacious attempt from the far touchline just inside his own half.

Although the attempt failed when it hit the base of the far post, Wharfedale's short clearance kick gave the initiative back to Otley.

From the line-out and a long pass by Max Johnson to Henry Roberts, it was the hosts who gave away a penalty.

Rowntree stepped up again on 24 minutes to open up a ten-point advantage, and Otley held onto that until the half-time whistle.

Wharfedale came out with all guns blazing in the second half, and were rewarded with 14 points within a four-minute period.

They were first awarded a penalty try after Otley persistently pulled down, and the second try came after a break by scrum half Philip Woodhead was finished off by flanker Jack Barnard, with Davidson converting.

Otley should have taken up a course in dry stone-walling as they had their backs to the wall for nearly the whole of the second half.

However, when they were able to get out of their half, they made it count.

With ten minutes left, Otley broke away from a line-out in their 22, winger Henry Roberts darting 25 metres along the touchline to the scoreboard corner as the hosts tried to bring him down, and Rowntree then slotted the touchline conversion.

The remainder of the game was tense as both sides tried to score, but it ended in Wharfedale's 22 when Johnson kicked the ball into touch after a scrum.