A batch of Tour de France-related road repairs will begin in Otley this weekend.
Six of the town’s highways are being resurfaced in preparation for Saturday, July 5, when the famous race will pass through town.
The work will begin on Bondgate, between 7.30am and 3.30pm, on Sunday, February 23, and be completed there on Sunday, March 2.
The majority of the remainder is set to be carried out between Mondays and Thursdays – avoiding Fridays to prevent disrupting the market – between 9.30am and 3pm.
The afternoon finish time was brought forward at the request of Councillor Ryk Downes (Lib Dem, Otley & Yeadon).
He said: “I contacted highways and asked that the works be concluded at 3pm rather than 3.30pm each day to avoid school traffic.
“They have agreed to this.”
The full timings are:
- Bondgate (Kirkgate – Crossgate) – Sunday, February 23, and Sunday, February 2, 7.30am to 5.30pm.
- A659 Bradford Road (Piper Lane – A660 Roundabout) – from Monday, February 24 to Monday, March 3 (no Friday working), 9.30am to 3pm.
- A659 Piper Lane (Ilkley Road – Bradford Road) – from Monday, February 24 to Tuesday, March 4 (no Friday working), 9.30am to 3pm.
- A659 Westgate (Kirkgate – Ilkley Road)– Wednesday, February 26, to Wednesday, March 5 (no Friday working), 9.30am to 3pm.
- A659 Cross Green (East Busk Lane – Boroughgate) – Monday, March 3, to Thursday, March 6 (no Friday working), 9.30am to 3pm.
- Billams Hill (Weston Lane – Bridge) – Monday, March 5, to Friday, March 14, 9.30am to 3pm.
Leeds City Council’s highways department says the schedule has been planned to minimise disruption but is warning that bad weather could affect the dates.