The fully refitted High Royds Memorial Chapel opened its doors to Mothers’ Union members as it gets ready for its big open day next month.
Members of St John’s Mother’s Union, from Ben Rhydding, had a chance to see inside the Menston chapel, on Buckle Lane, which has been refurbished to commemorate almost 3,000 former patients of High Royds psychiatric hospital who were buried in the graveyard.
An open day on July 6 will give more people the opportunity to see the further work which has been carried out in the memorial garden, and the improvements to the interior of the chapel.
Last year, chairs, a lectern and candlesticks had to be borrowed, but the generosity of churches in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire now means the chapel has 40 chairs, a lectern and an oak offertory table.
The fitting out of the interior was completed thanks to gifts from Ilkley Parish Church and St Hugh’s, Scunthorpe.
Friends of High Royds Memorial Garden chairman Ron Sweeney said: “These, together with previous gifts of an altar from St. John’s, Thorpe Edge and pews from St. Wilfrid’s, Calverley, provide a fitting tribute to the 2,961 former patients of High Royds Hospital who were forgotten.”
The Friends say it also shows a sense of pride by the community which has made the project possible.
The garden has also been freshly planted with the help of the North England Horticultural Society ready for the open day.
The Hospital, built in 1888, closed in 2003. Work to restore the memorial garden began in 2011.