Aldi has won a tussle with rival Tesco for the chance to open in Silsden.
Both supermarket chains had been seeking to open stores on sites at Keighley Road in the town.
Planners last Thursday refused Tesco the chance to take the matter to a head-to-head battle, then approved the plan for Aldi to build a food store on land at Habbeger House, Keighley Road.
The meeting heard that the Aldi plan had won widespread support in the town, as well as the backing of two of its ward councillors.
The approved planning application also included an expansion of the conveyor belt manufacturing factory Habasit, which would secure 70 to 80 jobs.
Agents for the Tesco scheme, who submitted their application on Monday, told the meeting of the Regulatory and Appeals Committee that they believed both projects should be considered at the same time, and asked the Council to delay a decision on the Aldi bid.
But this request was refused by the committee.
Committee member Councillor Roger L’Amie (Con, Baildon) said the applicants behind the Aldi plan had a right to have their plan considered in a reasonable time.
He said: “It would carry more weight if the two applications arrived together.
“If somebody has had three or four months to formalise an application, then there is a penalty for being late.”
Councillor Shabir Hussain (Lab, Manningham) said 218 postcards handed in by people in support of the Aldi scheme had been very persuasive.
He said: “The people of Silsden have spoken for themselves. These 218 cards more or less said everything.”
And Councillor Doreen Lee (Lab, Keighley East) said an Aldi would be valued by elderly Silsden residents, some of whom found the existing Co-op store too expensive.
After the meeting, Aldi property director Mike Clarke said he was “very pleased” with the result.
He said: “We are very grateful for the significant levels of public support from residents and businesses and we look forward to starting the development in the near future.”
He said the company aimed to have the store open by early 2015.