Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting IGNEWS to 80360, or email
Ilkley pet loses 20 per cent of skin after snake bite
12:48pm Thursday 26th September 2013 in News
A dog which suffered a snake bite is lucky to be alive after losing 20 per cent of his skin.
Four-year-old Otis, a whippet cross was taken to Ashlands Vets in Ilkley by his owners in July with cuts to his chest which were treated initially with antibiotics and anti inflammatories.
However, the wounds started getting worse and eventually about 20 per cent of the skin died and came off.
Initially his owner thought Otis had caught himself when he jumped over a fence chasing a cat and suffered swelling in his chest and cuts. Those cuts were treated, but when they failed to improve, samples were sent off to a laboratory for testing, which revealed something more unusual was going on.
Vet Anne MacGregor, who is practice manager at Ashlands Veterinary Centre, in Leeds Road, Ilkley, said: “We suspect that he had been bitten by a snake.
“We’re pretty sure it was an adder bite and the venom caused the problems. We contacted a specialist who advised us to surgically remove all dead skin and perform daily dressing changes.”
Otis was treated by vet Andy MacGregor, a vet with 22 years experience, who said he had never seen a reaction like it. However, gradually with intensive treatments and skin grafts, Otis is making a good recovery.
“He still hasn’t healed completely and is very cute as he lifts his legs up so the nurses can clean his wounds,” added Anne.