Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting IGNEWS to 80360, or email
Back to the drawing board for new Menston homes plans
Bradford Council is to look again at two controversial Menston housing plans over national planning changes and new evidence of flooding.
The authority has confirmed councillors are to consider schemes for a total of more than 300 new houses again in light of new planning guidance.
The plans are expected to go before the “next available” meeting of the Council’s Regulatory and Appeals Committee, although a planning inquiry over the 135-home Bingley Road scheme is due to go ahead in Menston on April 9.
The Council’s Shipley Area Planning Panel granted conditional approval in February 2012 for the developments at Bingley Road and Derry Hill, Menston.
Villagers, who claim the sites are unsuitable for housing, have continued their self-funded legal fight against the homes, however.
Solictors instructed by Menston Action Group (MAG) wrote to Bradford Council earlier this month, saying the Council is obliged to review its decision in the light of new information and refer the applications back to its committee for re-determination.
Solicitors Schofield Sweeney told the Council: “If the Council do not take a further decision in the light of a material change then this would be an administrative failure which would be capable of Judicial Review.”
Three “highly material” developments affecting the plans included the publication of the National Planning Policy Framework, the abolition of the Regional Spatial Strategy, and flooding on the sites in July, August and September last year.
Dr Steve Ellams, of MAG, said: “We feel we have got a genuine reason here to prevent these developments going ahead.”
The planning inquiry hearing over the non-determination of planning conditions is set to take place at Kirklands Community Centre, Main Street, Menston, starting on April 9.