SAXON crosses were still positioned outside Ilkley's All Saints Church as they had for more than a millennium when this photograph was taken.

The crosses, which date back to around 800 AD, were moved inside in 1983 to protect them against pollution and erosion. In the photograph, taken in 1982, only two of the three crosses can be seen.

On its website the church says: "The first written reference to the Ilkley Crosses is in Camden's 'Brittania', a history book published in 1596. Camden visited Ilkley in 1592 and saw the broken shafts lying in different parts of the churchyard.

"A later description in the 18th century tells of two of them being used as churchyard gateposts, one being severely damaged and defaced. However, one positive outcome of this is that the side that was against the churchyard wall is the best preserved and gives an idea of the detail and depth of carving which they all once had."

The crosses were placed on the south side of the churchyard during 19th century, probably as part of rebuilding carried out in 1861.

There is no date on the second photograph, showing a man and his dogs, which is from the archives of the Wharfedale Observer.

First World War sentences by Richard Thackrah

Ilkley Communal kitchen set up at the Church Institute on Leeds Road. All over the country communal kitchens are being opened: a wartime production to save food and fuel and also to effect some saving in cost and labour. On the first day141 portions of food were sold:soup, stew and rice pudding being the most popular dishes: total cost 6d a meal!

The Belgian community thank the town for the many gifts they have received.